First Ada DO-178 Certification
Add Reply
Jeffrey R.Carter
2023-10-04 11:39:39 UTC
Does anyone remember when Ada avionics S/W was first certified to DO-178? My
memory is 1980s, but I haven’t been able to find any information about it.
--
Jeff Carter
“[A]bout half the patterns in the 'Gang of Four'
174
Nioclásán Caileán de Ghlostéir
2024-10-16 19:40:26 UTC
On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Jeffrey R.Carter sent:
"“[A]bout half the patterns in the 'Gang of Four'
book only exist because of defects in C++ ...”
Brian Drummond
174"

"As this book is from before the effort to define Ada 9X, it contains
claims that Ada 83 is OO. The object based decompositions in the book
lack inheritance and polymorphism. For areas of his solutions where
classes or abstract data types are not needed, Grady Booch had
abstract-state machines: which he had much more easily represented by Ada
packages than the insecure, inflexible awkwardness of the Singleton
pattern in C++ in Gamma's; Helm's; Johnson's and Vlissides's "Design
Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software"."
says
HTTPS://ACCU.org/bookreviews/2004/gloster_1288

A so-called university course demanded us to buy "Design Patterns:
Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" and implement patterns
thereof. This so-called course fraudulently boasts to be about "They
[i.e. Space-Shuttle-software programmers]" Write The Right Stuff" but this
course in no way is suitable for aerospace and instead is about the UML
and curlily braced poop.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-10-16 20:57:52 UTC
What about metaclasses?
Nioclásán Caileán de Ghlostéir
2024-10-16 22:36:26 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
"What about metaclasses?"

Hi,

This book is dated 1987. Its author abandoned Ada for C++. I reviewed it
in 2004. I do not readily remember metaclasses in it. I do not still have
a copy and Google Books did not show me a copy. Google Books offers to
search its 1994 edition
(
HTTPS://WWW.Google.com/books/edition/Software_Engineering_with_Ada/iPZGJRW9bKgC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22Software+Engineering+with+Ada%22&printsec=frontcover
)
and it showed no result for "metaclass" and "metaclasses".
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-10-16 22:53:04 UTC
Post by Nioclásán Caileán de Ghlostéir
This book is dated 1987.
I do not readily remember metaclasses in it.
In 1987, I think the only language that used the term “metaclass” was
Smalltalk, and that was just as a hack mechanism on which to hang what we
now call “classmethods”.

Python has metaclasses in a much more useful sense: being fully OO, every
value that a variable can hold is an object. Since functions and classes
are first-class objects, they, too, must be instances of some class(es).
The class that a class is an instance of is called its “metaclass”.
Nioclásán Caileán de Ghlostéir
2024-10-17 08:23:33 UTC
Smalltalk systems are bloated with code clones. So much for reuse!

Smalltalk and Python codes crash while attemptings to run because they do
not check against faults during compilings.

"How Python and Rust handle errors is entirely different. Python will
throw an exception when an error is encountered. Rust will return a value
when an error is found, while Python will simply throw an error without
providing any suggestions on how to fix it. Meanwhile, Rust will provide
some recommendations to easily pinpoint and fix the issues."
says
@misc{Python-will-simply-throw-an-error-without-providing-any-suggestions-on-how-to-fix-it.htm,
title = {{Python vs Rust: Choosing Your Language - Teach Sector}},
year={2022},
url = {HTTPS://TeachSector.com/python-vs-rust-choosing-your-language/},
author = {Victor Porton}
}

Cf.

@misc{finding-bugs-in-your-Python-software-Have-you-ever-mistyped-an-identifier.html,
title = {{Best Programming Language \texttt{|} Teach Sector}},
year={2022},
url = {HTTPS://TeachSector.com/dforpython},
author = {Victor Porton}
}

and

@misc{dynamic-nature-of-Python-usually-leads-to-many-programming-errors.htm,
title = {{The Best Python Alternative You Can Find <E2><80><93> Course and
Certifications - Teach Sector}},
year={2022},
url =
{HTTPS://TeachSector.com/the-best-python-alternative-you-can-find-course-and-certifications/},
author = {Victor Porton}
}

and

@inproceedings{3383583.3398514.pdf,
author = {Fu, Yuanxi and Schneider, Jodi},
title = {{Towards Knowledge Maintenance in Scientific Digital Libraries
with the Keystone Framework}},
year = {2020},
isbn = {9781450375856},
publisher = {Association for Computing Machinery},
address = {New York, NY, USA},
url = {HTTPS://DOI.org/10.1145/3383583.3398514},
doi = {10.1145/3383583.3398514},
abstract = {Scientific digital libraries speed dissemination of scientific
publications, but also the propagation of invalid or unreliable knowledge.
Although many papers with known validity problems are highly cited, no
auditing process is currently available to determine whether a citing
paper's findings fundamentally depend on invalid or unreliable knowledge.
To address this, we introduce a new framework, the keystone framework,
designed to identify when and how citing unreliable findings impacts a
paper, using argumentation theory and citation context analysis. Through
two pilot case studies, we demonstrate how the keystone framework can be
applied to knowledge maintenance tasks for digital libraries, including
addressing citations of a non-reproducible paper and identifying
statements most needing validation in a high-impact paper. We identify
roles for librarians, database maintainers, knowledgebase curators, and
research software engineers in applying the framework to scientific
digital libraries.},
booktitle = {Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital
Libraries in 2020},
pages = {217--226},
numpages = {10},
keywords = {knowledge claims, citation of retracted papers, scientific
literature, citation, argumentation theory, citation contexts, knowledge
maintenance, retraction of research, argument retrieval},
location = {Virtual Event, China},
series = {JCDL '20}
}

and

@article{Python-is-missing-some-of-these,
author = {Jeffrey R. Carter},
title = {{Subject: Re: Is Python higher level than Ada?}},
journal = {news:comp.lang.ada},
volume = {2016},
year = {2016},
note = {Message-ID: \texttt{<o0i099$fg8$***@dont-email.me>} ag
\url{HTTPS://Archive.LegitData.Co/comp.lang.ada/o0i099$fg8$***@dont-email.me/}
mar shampla Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 09:08:37 -0700}
}

and

@article{Ada-had-records-from-day-one-only-40-years-ago,
author = {Nasser M. Abbasi},
title = {{Subject: Java and Python have just discovered
\texttt{"}record\texttt{"} type finally after 40 years.}},
journal = {news:comp.lang.ada},
volume = {2023},
year = {2023},
note = {Message-ID: \texttt{<u3lu8o$1p3li$***@dont-email.me>} ag
\url{HTTPS://Archive.LegitData.Co/comp.lang.ada/u3lu8o$1p3li$***@dont-email.me/}
mar shampla Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 12:50:14 -0500}
}

and

@article{assuming-Python-implements-them-correctly-which-I-honestly-doubt,
author = {Dmitry A. Kazakov},
title = {{Subject: Re: Is Python higher level than Ada?}},
journal = {news:comp.lang.ada},
volume = {2016},
year = {2016},
note = {Message-ID: \texttt{<o0h7tt$1o9f$***@gioia.aioe.org>} ag
\url{HTTPS://Archive.LegitData.Co/comp.lang.ada/o0h7tt$1o9f$***@gioia.aioe.org/}
mar shampla Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:12:29 +0100}
}
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-10-17 21:23:41 UTC
Post by Nioclásán Caileán de Ghlostéir
Smalltalk and Python codes crash while attemptings to run because they
do not check against faults during compilings.
So, those are dynamic languages. You can add static type annotations to
Python, if you want.